Prev: Re: Bill Gates Grants Self 18 Dexterity, 20 Charisma Next: [OT] JPL Web Browser Observatory

RE: FB2 Fleets (or "How I Learned to Hate the Savasku")

From: "Bell, Brian K" <Brian_Bell@d...>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 06:57:40 -0400
Subject: RE: FB2 Fleets (or "How I Learned to Hate the Savasku")

One, seemingly simple, fix may be to mandate that if a SV construct has
screen nodes, that ONE be powered at all times. AND mandate that all SV
at
mass 91 and above must carry a screen node.

I have not playtested this, but it seems to be worth looking at. I
looked at
making all screen nodes manditory, but that usually takes half (or more)
of
the available power. The second part about mandating a screen node on SV
constructs larger than 91 mass was added as an after-thought to help
when
custom fleets are brought to a one-off game. I chose 91 for 2 reasons:
1) It
covered all the ships in FB2. 2) It is a seperation point between
Capital
ships and Cruisers.

This would go a long way to lowering the effectiveness of SV fleets
against
all species fleets. It tops the power curve. On average a screen node
takes
about 25% of the available power (give or take a point using the FB2
ships).
Thus, the SV construct would have only about 75% of power to apply to
weapons or drive.

I also like this because it does not take any changing of existing rules
(just adding two new rules).

I would, lastly, suggest one exception to this rule. A SV construct may
unpower the screen if it is engaging (writing orders to use) the FTL
node.

Situations not handled by this rule:
 - Constructs under 91 mass. Smaller ships are generally less powerful
in
comparison to larger ships, so have thier own drawbacks.

-----
Brian Bell
bkb@beol.net
http://members.xoom.com/rlyehable/ft/