Prev: Re: FB2 Fleets (or "How I Learned to Hate the Savasku") Next: Re: FB2 Fleets (or "How I Learned to Hate the Savasku")

Re: FB2 Fleets (or "How I Learned to Hate the Savasku")

From: "Paul Radford" <paulradford@i...>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 23:39:35 +0100
Subject: Re: FB2 Fleets (or "How I Learned to Hate the Savasku")

Hello Mark, (and everyone else!)

>From: Mark Reindl <mreindl@pacbell.net>

>So, what I'd like to know is:	Have any of you who have more experience
>with one or both of these alien fleets seen the same thing, or am just
>being whiny?  And second, if I am being whiny, what sort of tactics can
>you suggest for playing the Kra'vak effectively without having to rely
>too much on fighters, and/or countering the advantages of the Sa'vasku,
>particularly when playing Kra'vak.

I've written to the list on this very subject before. In the battles
Kra'Vak
vs Sa'Vasku, and Phalon's vs Sa'Vasku, the Sa'Vasku were victorious due
the opponents becoming despondent about the whole thing and having no
hope
of victory. Movement method was cinematic and ships were FB2 designs.
The
Sa'Vasku would apply max power to thrust, then cruise at speed with
sufficient power to make turns of up to 3 with the remaining power being
applied to the offensive pool. The Sa'Vasku player did not even fire a
single pod, as there was simply no need. He just coasted around using
his
stingers to great effect. My Kra'Vak forces were decimated and i put
this
down to a redundent defensive pool when playing Kra'Vak. With the
Phalons,
advanced drives and long range fire were the name of the game which
favoured
the Sa'Vasku.

Beth suggested that the spicules draw from the defensive pool which
while
being a good suggestion, only applies when fighters and missiles get a
look
in. Neither of the two battles mentioned featured fighters or drone
groups.

IMHO,  I find that Sa'Vasku have a tremendous advantage in that
extremely
variable thrust leads to greater unpredictability when trying to figure
out
where their movement may end. Learning to predict movement is important
especially when cinematic rules are used (as we do) and you're using
Kra'Vak.

I can't suggest a method for using Kra'Vak to beat Sa'Vasku, and I for
one
would like to hear what other list members think about this.

Cheers,

Paul
"Oh my god! They've summoned Cthulhu! You bastards!

Web Pages:
http://www.innotts.co.uk/~paulradford/