Prev: FB2 Fleets (or "How I Learned to Hate the Savasku") Next: Re: FB2 comments for Brendan Pratt

RE: Salvo Missile Variants

From: Charles Stanley Taylor <charles.taylor@c...>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 18:49:35 +0100
Subject: RE: Salvo Missile Variants

In message
<9DB05BB477A8D111AF3F00805F5730100687D7EE@exchange01.dscc.dla.mil>
	  "Bell, Brian K" <Brian_Bell@dscc.dla.mil> wrote:

[snip my old waffle]

> > So here we go:
> >
> > EMP Salvo Missile
> >
> > This is the SM equivalent of the old EMP missile in More Thrust -
they
> > use the standard rules for a FB1 salvo missile, but when the
missiles
> > hit (if they hit) use the number of missiles that actually target
the
> > ship and are not stopped by PDS etc. in place of the random 1d6 roll
on
> > the EMP missile table in More Thrust (p. 3) - you still subtract 1
per
> > level of shields.
> >
> > Actually, looking at the table, I fell I should suggest an
alternative:
> > 1: no effect
> > 2-3: systems knocked out on roll of 6
> > 4-5: systems knocked out on roll of 5+
> > 6: systems knocked out on roll of 4+
> >
> > I actually thought that someone else had suggested something like
this,
> > but I couldn't find anything on the archives - or the www.
> >
> [Bri] Is this per missile that survives PDS? Ouch! I would suggest
that the
> EMP knocks out the other missiles in the same swarm (thus only ONE
> check not one check per surviving missile).

[CST] Umm.. I think 1 set of threshold checks per missile salvo, with
the number of missiles that manage to get through defences, minus the
targets shield level (do vapour shrouds help?, do reflex fields?, I'm
not sure about the 1st, and I think reflex fields are too silly to
worry about the second ATM) being used on the look-up table above.

Actually, for multiple EMP salvo strikes, I'm tempted to say that you
count up ALL of the missiles that hit, from ALL of the salvos, subtract
the shield level, and use that number in the table to get the threshold
level - if you want PSB, use Bri's statement about EMP missiles
interfering with each other.

I hope that helps.

[snip]

> > Interceptor Salvo Missiles
> >
> > I'm sure someone did a missile-based, one-shot PDS system (2
variants -
> > Rapier and Patriot) - but I can't find the web site again :-( any
ideas?

[CST] I'm going to have another look for these - they're out there
somewhere!

> > Anyway, my idea is for a variant of interceptor that is launched
from a
> > SMR/SML - either as a close in area defence system (launch in
response
> > to an attack - in PDS phase), or as a long range 'proactive' area
> > defence system (launched during Missile phase) - in both cases, the
> > individual missiles in the salvo each have multiple submunitions
that
> > hunt down and kill other missiles or fighters (maybe even Plasma
Bolts).
> > But I can't come up with any mechanics I like :-(
> >
> [Bri] I would suggest limiting these to the arc of the SML/SMR with a
> range of 6tu (may not be used in area defense). Each salvo is like
> a scattergun (mission kills 1d6 fighters). The salvo must be fired at
the
> end of the Launch Ordnance phase. Fighters may evade the missiles
> by using secondary movement; however this uses 2 endurance (one
> for combat and one for secondary movement).

[CST] I take it the range and arcs are from the actual launch system
(SMR/SML) - good suggestion (especially the arcs), but I kinda like the
idea of a 'long' range anti fighter/missile that takes a bit of guess
work to use - my idea is to place them during the Launch Ordnance phase,
which means that they can be placed to attack fighters, attack SMs/PBs
(if player won initiative) - but in this case I'd defiantly reduce the
range to 12 or 18 mu - the reduction represents reaction time, as a
pre-emptive defence against possible SM/PB attacks (if player lost
initiative). I think these need a lot of playtesting - if our nascent
FT group could meet more often I'll give it a spin!

> > Planetary Bombardment Salvo Missiles
> >
> > Effectively, these enable a SMR/SML to be used as an ortillary
system -
> > the actual mechanics are probably best left tho the Dirtside players
-
> > as they'll have to deal with the results!
> >
> > (I'm going to have to try and get into Dirtside - I know one of my
> > friends plays it occassionally).
> >
> > Decoy Salvo Missiles
> >
> > Launch as usual, but they don't attack ships, however, their
placement
> > token counts as a valid target for other salvo missiles :-)
> >
> [Bri] Timing on this would be tricky as they would only be used in
> reaction to another SML launch. Because of this, I would suggest
> that each missile salvo be given a chance to lock on to the real
> target. 1d6: 1-3 Lock onto Decoy; 5-6 Lock onto real target. If decoy
salvos
> outnumber missile salvos subtract 1; if missile salvos outnumber
> decoy salvos, add 1.
> OR
> Limit the Decoy to spoofing only 1 other missile salvo.
> Otherwise the decoy could protect against many times its own mass/cost
> of missile salvos.
> I would also suggest that these mass/cost the same as ER Salvos.

[CST] Good suggestions - they have the same timing problems as 'long'
range interceptor missiles, I think I'd use your latter suggestion for
simplicity (PSB - the 2D game board is an approximation of the 3D space
the battle occurs in)

[snip light missiles - comments in other msg]
> -----End Original Message-----
>
> My comments marked by [Bri]
>
> Here is another one:
>
> Terminal Boost Missile:
> Same mass/cost as ER salvos.
> This missile has a movement of 24tu for placing the marker. But after
the
> Move Ships phase, it may move an additional 6tu (similar to fighter
> secondary movement). Then it acts in all ways like a standard missile
> salvo. PSB: The TBM has additional sensors, logic, and a terminal
stage
> booster. This makes the salvo heavier that the standard variety, but
also
> more effective. Game play: This could give the salvo the ability to
get
> closer to the actual target rather than jammers or escort craft. This
may
> make the missile too powerful (have not playtested). Range may have
> to be cut to 18tu placement.

[CST] Interesting idea.

> ---
> Brian Bell
> bkb@beol.net
> http://members.xoom.com/rlyehable/ft/
> ---

I've followed your lead - my comments marked with [CST]

Just had another truly mad idea -
Boarding Torpedoes!
Does anyone out there remember the _truly atrocious_ "Star Crash" - and
I'm someone with limited critical faculties :-)

Charles
--

Prev: FB2 Fleets (or "How I Learned to Hate the Savasku") Next: Re: FB2 comments for Brendan Pratt