Prev: RE: FT at Origins, or lack of Next: Re: S:AAB USS Saratoga

Re: Salvo Missile Varients

From: "Brian Thompson" <brianthompson17@h...>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 12:13:03 EST
Subject: Re: Salvo Missile Varients

I think there are some good ideas here, but they would need to be
carefully
costed and massed (ie. the EMP missile could be devastating, especially
to a
fleet which emphasised hull mass as apposed to shields)

However the light missile system seems too open to abuse.
>Light Missile System
>Idea I've been tinkering with - like SMR/SML, but fires single
missiles:
>Light Missile Rack: MASS 1, cost 2, or 3 with ER missiles
>Light Missile Launcher: MASS 1, cost 2
>Light Missile Magazine: MASS 1/3 missiles, or 1/2 ER missiles, cost
>MASSx3
>
>Use as for SMs, but to determine if missile locks on to target (after
>defences against it are allocated) roll 1d6, 1-3 missile misses, 4-6
>missile on target.
>
>Not very effective by itself (like the ods of 1 missile getting through
>any serious PDS are slight) - but a way of giving missile capability to
>small ships - I see it as a system for modelling genre small ships with
>little missiles (Millenium Falcon, perhaps?)

As a KV player, the thought of having to spread my scatter guns against
them
even after finding out which are on target is scary, never mind
allocating
them before hand, knowing that about 50% will be wasted.
Also, each SG could only destroy one missile (i have enough trouble with
MT
missiles).  Ordinary PDS would also suffer from this.

In short, i think there is a real danger that some players would abuse
this
system by putting stacks of them on big ships, and swamping the
opposition.

Prev: RE: FT at Origins, or lack of Next: Re: S:AAB USS Saratoga