Prev: RE: [FT] Fighter Screen Next: Re: FT at Origins, or lack of

RE: Salvo Missile Variants

From: "Bell, Brian K" <Brian_Bell@d...>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 09:19:57 -0400
Subject: RE: Salvo Missile Variants

[Bri] Is this per missile that survives PDS? Ouch! I would suggest that
the
EMP knocks out the other missiles in the same swarm (thus only ONE
check not one check per surviving missile).

> I rejected the concept of a Needle Salvo Missile - PSB (and mechanics)
> too messy!
>
> Interceptor Salvo Missiles
>
> I'm sure someone did a missile-based, one-shot PDS system (2 variants
-
> Rapier and Patriot) - but I can't find the web site again :-( any
ideas?

> Anyway, my idea is for a variant of interceptor that is launched from
> SMR/SML - either as a close in area defence system (launch in response
> to an attack - in PDS phase), or as a long range 'proactive' area
> defence system (launched during Missile phase) - in both cases, the
> individual missiles in the salvo each have multiple submunitions that
> hunt down and kill other missiles or fighters (maybe even Plasma
Bolts).
> But I can't come up with any mechanics I like :-(

[Bri] I would suggest limiting these to the arc of the SML/SMR with a
range of 6tu (may not be used in area defense). Each salvo is like
a scattergun (mission kills 1d6 fighters). The salvo must be fired at
the
end of the Launch Ordnance phase. Fighters may evade the missiles
by using secondary movement; however this uses 2 endurance (one
for combat and one for secondary movement).

> Planetary Bombardment Salvo Missiles
>
> Effectively, these enable a SMR/SML to be used as an ortillary system
-
> the actual mechanics are probably best left tho the Dirtside players -
> as they'll have to deal with the results!
>
> (I'm going to have to try and get into Dirtside - I know one of my
> friends plays it occassionally).
>
> Decoy Salvo Missiles
>
> Launch as usual, but they don't attack ships, however, their placement
> token counts as a valid target for other salvo missiles :-)

[Bri] Timing on this would be tricky as they would only be used in
reaction to another SML launch. Because of this, I would suggest
that each missile salvo be given a chance to lock on to the real
target. 1d6: 1-3 Lock onto Decoy; 5-6 Lock onto real target. If decoy
salvos
outnumber missile salvos subtract 1; if missile salvos outnumber
decoy salvos, add 1.
OR
Limit the Decoy to spoofing only 1 other missile salvo.
Otherwise the decoy could protect against many times its own mass/cost
of missile salvos.
I would also suggest that these mass/cost the same as ER Salvos.

> Light Missile System
> Idea I've been tinkering with - like SMR/SML, but fires single
missiles:
> Light Missile Rack: MASS 1, cost 2, or 3 with ER missiles
> Light Missile Launcher: MASS 1, cost 2
> Light Missile Magazine: MASS 1/3 missiles, or 1/2 ER missiles, cost
> MASSx3
>
> Use as for SMs, but to determine if missile locks on to target (after
> defences against it are allocated) roll 1d6, 1-3 missile misses, 4-6
> missile on target.
>
> Not very effective by itself (like the ods of 1 missile getting
through
> any serious PDS are slight) - but a way of giving missile capability
> small ships - I see it as a system for modelling genre small ships
with
> little missiles (Millenium Falcon, perhaps?)
>
> Charles
-----End Original Message-----

My comments marked by [Bri]

Here is another one:

Terminal Boost Missile:
Same mass/cost as ER salvos.
This missile has a movement of 24tu for placing the marker. But after
the
Move Ships phase, it may move an additional 6tu (similar to fighter
secondary movement). Then it acts in all ways like a standard missile
salvo. PSB: The TBM has additional sensors, logic, and a terminal stage
booster. This makes the salvo heavier that the standard variety, but
also
more effective. Game play: This could give the salvo the ability to get
closer to the actual target rather than jammers or escort craft. This
may
make the missile too powerful (have not playtested). Range may have
to be cut to 18tu placement.

---
Brian Bell
bkb@beol.net
http://members.xoom.com/rlyehable/ft/
---

Prev: RE: [FT] Fighter Screen Next: Re: FT at Origins, or lack of