Prev: Re: OT:Re: Memories of PBS (Was:Re:S:AAB USS Saratoga specs) Next: Re: taking my Maneuvering 101 final

GZG at GenCon

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@i...>
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2000 12:57:19 -0400
Subject: GZG at GenCon

Well, it's only a month away. GenCon, the world's largest gaming
convention,
runs Thursday, August 10 to Sunday, August 13, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin,
USA.

Although the premier game convention in North America, GenCon has been
ebbing
away as a miniatures convention. The previous two years, having the
miniatures
events stuck away from the main convention centre, didn't help much.
This year
the miniatures are being held in a better location (so we are told; I
haven't
seen a map of the convention so I'm not positive what that means).

We're running a few less events at this year's GenCon than we did last
year.
Finding volunteers was a little more difficult this year. We have
talked,
however, about using some of our area for open gaming. Also, please
check
below about the FT Tournament; it's a different format from last year
and will
give a LOT more FT gaming opportunities.

Here are the events by day, run by the "official" GZG team. More may be
added
by the time of the convention, and others may be running some events not
affiliated with us.

Thursday, Aug. 10
5 pm to 9 pm
Full Thrust: Helm, Full Thrust. A generic FT game using official FT
miniatures.
Full Thrust: Battlestar Galactica - The Great War. Colonials versus
Cylons in
the Battlestar Galactica universe.

Friday, Aug. 11
Noon to 4 pm
Full Thrust: Torpedoes Away. FT game using, I suspect, official
miniatures,
with a force of small torpedo boats after a fleet of larger ships.
Full Thrust: B5 - Severed Dreams. Based on the Babylon 5 scenario of the
same
name.

5pm to 9 pm
Full Thrust: Sci-fi Crossover - Enter the Executor. Several sci-fi
universes
clash; this year the Star Wars Empire brings in some BIG guns...
Stargrunt 2: Plasma Ambush. A convoy of ESU troops is attacked by PA
troops
with plasma guns. Played in 15mm.

9pm to 1 am
Full Thrust: Galactic Demo Derby 2000. Each player gets one (yes, one!)
ship,
but it's the biggest, cheesiest ship you've probably ever played. Last
person
standing wins.
Stargrunt 2: Operation Dust Off. Japanese Corporate Mercenaries fend off
NSL
panzergrenadiers as they attempt a VTOL extraction. 25 mm.

Saturday, Aug. 12
8 pm to Noon
Full Thrust: Battlestar Galactica - The Great War. Colonials versus
Cylons in
the Battlestar Galactica universe.

Noon to 8 pm
Full Thrust: 3rd Annual Tournament. Pre-generated fleets and custom
fleets
allowed, using designs from Fleet Book 1. This year the format is
different
from last year. Each player will play 2 initial round games (instead of
one),
with the winners advancing to the semi-finals. What's more, the tables
will be
available to anyone who wants "open FT gaming", so even if eliminated,
you can
still play a pick up game of FT. E-mail me directly if you want to see
the
rules for the tournament.

5 pm to 9 pm
Full Thrust: Galactic Demo Derby 2000. Each player gets one (yes, one!)
ship,
but it's the biggest, cheesiest ship you've probably ever played. Last
person
standing wins.

9 pm to 1 am
Full Thrust: B5 - Severed Dreams. Based on the Babylon 5 scenario of the
same
name.

Sunday, Aug. 13
Noon to 4 pm
Full Thrust: Helm, Full Thrust. A generic FT game using official FT
miniatures.

As I mentioned earlier, these are the events that we set up for the
pre-registration book. Two events have been cancelled, and these are the
officially run events. Others may be added at the time of the
convention.

We've also discussed the idea of running some impromptu games,
particularly
for mailing list members. If anyone finds that interesting, mention it
on the
list and we'll see about organizing a mailing list game or something
like
that. We played a game with just mailing list members back in 1997 and
it went
over very well.

If you have any questions, please e-mail me directly!

Allan Goodall		       agoodall@interlog.com
Goodall's Grotto: http://www.interlog.com/~agoodall/

Prev: Re: OT:Re: Memories of PBS (Was:Re:S:AAB USS Saratoga specs) Next: Re: taking my Maneuvering 101 final