Prev: Re: NIFT PBeMs: Skunkworks Trials Next: Re: [FT] Battle report - Dreadplanet vs KV

Re: Dirtside vs. Stargrunt?

From: Brian Quirt <baqrt@m...>
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 17:40:49 -0400
Subject: Re: Dirtside vs. Stargrunt?

stiltman@teleport.com wrote:

> Okay, call me a heretical fool, but I haven't yet gotten either of
these two
> and I'm wondering what the general overlook of them is without having
> buy one and/or break the shrink wrap over at Military Corner.

	Well, I'd probably say "get both." I've played (and enjoyed)
both, and
found them to be really good games. I actually play both with the same
miniatures (1:300), which also saves money (and table space, at least
for SG) (and painting time, which is my LEAST favourite part of
miniatures gaming). For integration with FT, I'd choose Dirtside first
(although, of the two, I SLIGHTLY prefer playing Stargrunt), mostly
because it has integration rules (although I think that the MT
integration rules are out of date - does anyone have updated
space/volume rules for troop storage?).
	As for "FMA System" that refers to the die roll mechanics, NOT
the
scale. DSII also uses (at least most of the) FMA system, which means
primarily that it uses polyhedral dice from D4 through D12, and handles
relative abilities by shifting die type instead of by die modifiers (at
least, that's the brief explanation).

Either way, welcome to the surface, where the REAL wars are fought...:)
	-Brian (what are those lights up there and why are they getting
closer) Quirt

Prev: Re: NIFT PBeMs: Skunkworks Trials Next: Re: [FT] Battle report - Dreadplanet vs KV