Prev: [OT] Zero G in TV; Re: S:AAB USS Saratoga specs Next: Re: Pod racing rules

Re: Gravity on TV (wasS:AAB USS Saratoga specs)

From: Phillip Atcliffe <Phillip.Atcliffe@u...>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 13:04:02 +0100 (BST)
Subject: Re: Gravity on TV (wasS:AAB USS Saratoga specs)

On Tue, 04 Jul 2000 15:22:12 +0100 Chris Lucking <CLL@LGC.CO.UK> wrote:

> Steve Pugh wrote:
>> Of course the Saratoga has artificial gravity. It was on TV. All
ships on TV have artificial gravity. ;-) (Except for some Babylon 5
ones which manage to produce 1g gravity via rotation regardless of the
the rate of rotation or the length of the arm....) <<

> Heh. Once somebody calculated that if the rim of the Babylon 5
station had one G, the gravity at the control room would be so small
that the people would bounce around the room like helium filled ping
pong balls... <

Maybe, _if_ the rim was supposed to be at 1g, which it isn't. C&C is
supposed to be at about 1/3-g, even though everyone acts like it's 1g
<g>. The inside of the main "carousel" section -- i.e., where the
gardens, farms, etc., are -- is (I think) meant to be 1g. Down Below is
higher-than-Earth-normal grav, which is one reason why it's unpopular
with the "official" station inhabitants.

> Yet the control room doesn't rotate... <

As Steve replied, yes, it does, but the producers couldn't afford the
FX budget to show the stars rotating when viewed through the main
windows...

My sources for this stuff are comments by JMS in a variety of
forums, and a reference book or two.

Phil
(Dr) P.A. Atcliffe
Senior Lecturer, Faculty of Engineering
University of the West of England, Bristol
Phone: +44 (0)117 344 2496
Fax:   +44 (0)117 344 2683
Email: Phillip.Atcliffe@uwe.ac.uk

Prev: [OT] Zero G in TV; Re: S:AAB USS Saratoga specs Next: Re: Pod racing rules