Prev: Re: [FT] Battle report - Dreadplanet vs KV Next: Zero G in TV; Re: S:AAB USS Saratoga specs

Re: S:AAB USS Saratoga specs

From: "Steve Pugh" <steve@w...>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 10:26:50 +0100
Subject: Re: S:AAB USS Saratoga specs

> >Of course the Saratoga has artificial gravity. It was on TV. All
> >ships on TV have artificial gravity. ;-) (Except for some Babylon 5
> >ones which manage to produce 1g gravity via rotation regardless of
> >the the rate of rotation or the length of the arm....)
> >
> >Okay, now I'm going to get given a list of TV ships without
> >artificial gravity...
>
> B5 did it reasonably well given that it was TV (ie: scientifically it
> was better than nothing....) - the EA ships didn't have anything apart
> from spin habitats until the White Star with its Minbari tech. One of
> the TV movies (IIRC, "In the Beginning") has a couple of nice zero-G
> scenes on the bridge of Sheridan's old Hyperion class. I don't THINK
> the Narn ships have AG either, at least you always see the crew
> strapped in.....

Yeah, though those Earth ships (and B5 itself) would need 100%
frictionless bearings to have one rotating section and a non-rotating
hub. B4 with its two sections rotating in opposite directions is more
plausable.

> 2001/2010 got it pretty well, with the Discovery's carousel and the
> Leonov's spin habitat. Offhand I can't think of any others that don't
> have "implied" AG (excepting factual stuff like Apollo 13 of
> course....) ;-)

The old BBC show Star Cops actually had zero-g in its early episodes
(when the cops were based on a space station rather than on the
moon). That was the only other one I thought of.

	Steve

--
The Ground Zero Games Meta-FAQ is available at
http://steve.pugh.net/grunt/meta-faq.txt

Steve Pugh   <steve@pugh.net>	<http://steve.pugh.net/>

Prev: Re: [FT] Battle report - Dreadplanet vs KV Next: Zero G in TV; Re: S:AAB USS Saratoga specs