Prev: [me] unsubbing again ... Next: Sa'Vasku Needle Pods...

Re: Hanger Bay question

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2000 09:27:01 +0100
Subject: Re: Hanger Bay question

>>Hmm... so if you have a MASS 9 small craft hanger - cost 27, you
_could_
>>carry a 6 fighter squadron, but not re-supply it - while if you have a
>>MASS 9 fighter hanger - cost 27, you could carry the fighters, _and_
>>resupply them, _or_ you could carry up to 6 MASS in small craft.
>
>Hmm. Good point. But can a MASS 9 fighter hanger service a MASS 6 small
>craft? In other words, can your troops disembark, cargo be unloaded,
etc.?

>Though this has far less relevence at the tactical scale, it's
something to
>consider.
>
>>I'm not sure I like that - identical cost & mass gives different
levels
>>of functionality depending which you choose.
>
>I agree, but then again see above.
>
>I must admit that I can easily see both sides of the argument at this
point.

>Schoon

I think the answer should be (this is [SEMI-OFFICIAL] but just off the
top
of the head at the moment!) that a small craft hangar and a fighter bay
are
two very different things - the former is basically a big empty space
with
a launch port, while the latter is full of servicing and repair bays for
individual fighters, rapid launch and recovery systems etc. For the
record,
a fighter is less than 1 mass (probably much less), but needs 1.5 mass
of
bay and support stuff.
You couldn't carry other small craft in fighter bays, because all the
support stuff gets in the way;	you can CARRY fighters around in a small
craft hangar, but you wouldn't be able to support them in combat
operations
(launch and recovery would be much slowed, as would rearming etc.).

Does that sound reasonable?

Jon (GZG)

Prev: [me] unsubbing again ... Next: Sa'Vasku Needle Pods...