Prev: Re: Glen's ship designs URL Next: Re: [FT] Ship design advice

Re: [FT] Ship design advice

From: stiltman@t...
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 13:21:57 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [FT] Ship design advice

> >	The capital ships I'm thinking about using have L2 screens, a
medium
> >sized beam armament, and pulse torps.  What do you folks think about
> >using heavy screens with the new rules?  I just found the rule about
any
> >rerolls bypassing screens, that makes them less attractive.	Are they
> >worth the weight?

> Yes and no. Against anyone but the Kra'Vak, I 'd say that screens are
still
> worth their weight. There are enough Beam and/or Beam-like systems out
> there that they prolong your survivability by a significant margin.
> However, taking Level 2 screens, IMO, starts to unbalance your ship.

If you're up against FB1 ships, they're worth it.

In most custom games, they're a mixed bag because a lot of people will
primarily use screen-piercing weapons in custom games.

> >	Whenever fighters have been used in the few games I have seen,
they
> >have always been slaughtered fairly early.  Is this normal?	Maybe
they
> >weren't used correctly, as they don't seem to be worth their point
> >value, let alone the astronomical cost of the fighter bays.

> Sounds like they're not being properly employed. Keep in mind that
they
> can't be attacked by anything other than fighters until they attack,
> excepting ADFC equipped vessels.

That's not true, with respect to ADFC.	If you hunt through the FB1,
you'll
see a very specific statement in there that ADFC no longer allows you to
attack
non-hostile fighters, and that you may _only_ attack the fighters that
are
either attacking you or attacking a ship within 6" of you.
--
 The Stilt Man		      stiltman@teleport.com

Prev: Re: Glen's ship designs URL Next: Re: [FT] Ship design advice