Prev: [OT] Back on th Air Next: Re: [FH] Battle report

Re: [FH] Battle report

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 13:16:58 +0200
Subject: Re: [FH] Battle report

Laserlight wrote:

>1st Battle of Lafayette

[snip]

>I used FSE (one of Indy's Fleet List battlegroups, slightly modified)
plus >some ESU ships for the system defense.

With or without FTL drives? In the original Lafayette campaign set-up
the system defence ships are strictly sub-light, though that is much
less of an advantage with the FB design system.

>Lessons:
>1.  Using cm scale gives you a much better feel--you have enough
>space for flanking maneuvers without being constrained by the
>table edges

<g> Guess why I use it...

>Now, if we can just get Jon to produce ships in a small enough
>scale--we used markers for this game, due to the number of
>ships, but regular ships would have been too closely packed
>anyway.

Depends a fair bit on your basing. Many of my ships use old SFB model
bases or similar (roughly half an inch across, but metal) and/or have
base poles of different heights; this makes flying in dense formations
a lot easier than if all ships use the standard GZG or RAFM bases. That
being said, I'm usually comfortable with looser formations (2-3mu
between the ships) - though perhaps not with 10000-point fleets :-/

>2.  Keep your flanks either way out there, or close enough to
>your main line for support.

And have a reason for the flank squadrons to be where they are, too.

>3.  Win initiative (which I did, every turn).

Helps quite a bit in fighter combats, at least if you use the normal
squadron rules... not as important in an SM-vs-beam fight though.

>4.  Despite what a British admiral once said, speed is NOT
>armor.

I believe the British learned this lesson the hard way when the Hood
brewed up :-/ Speed sometimes allows you to be outside the main enemy
fire arcs, but that's all.

>However, trudging along at velocity 8 may be thought of
>as _negative_ armor--it attracts salvo missiles and fighters.

Yep <g>

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: [OT] Back on th Air Next: Re: [FH] Battle report