Prev: Re: [OT] Summer Reading List Next: RE: Sa' Vasku

Re: [OT] Summer Reading List

From: aebrain@d...
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 05:01:54 GMT
Subject: Re: [OT] Summer Reading List

>Right now, I'm about to tackle Vernor Vinge's "A Fire Upon
>the Deep"

You're in for a treat. It's up there with David Brin's "Earth", Walter
Miller's
"A Canticle for Liebowitz", and Joe Haldeman's "Forever War".

By far his best work IMHO, though I've yet to tackle the prequel. Best
treatment
of "Technology sufficiently advanced" that I know of. In these days of
the Internet,
Virusses, Cyber attacks etc it may seem a bit passe, but since it was
written
well before Reality intruded, it shouldn't be blamed for unoriginality.

Prev: Re: [OT] Summer Reading List Next: RE: Sa' Vasku