Prev: Re: [FT] More for the testing range: The Grav Backfire Next: [SG?] new 15mm from GZG?

Fw: UNSC Starships

From: "Roger Gerrish" <roger.gerrish@l...>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 17:48:17 +0100
Subject: Fw: UNSC Starships

----- Original Message -----
From: Izenberg, Noam <Noam.Izenberg@jhuapl.edu>
To: 'FT List' <GZG-L@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
Sent: Tuesday, June 20, 2000 1:59 PM
Subject: Re: UNSC Starships

> > The Gilderstein Foundation 'think tank' after achieving its
> > prime goal of providing a secure home for the Jewish people
> > would carry on developing leading edge technology.
>
> "After achieving its primary goal?" There are those in New Israel who
would
> argue that even in 2194 that goal has not yet been fully met. :-/

Yes, you are right it is probably too easy to generalise on the most
bloody
event in the GZG Future History.

. Assuming that 'New israel' (Epsilon Indi) is a
> > core world then the UNSC would indirectly become a force
> > dedicated to protecting the Jewish people from renewed
> > aggressions From the great powers.
>
> That is an interesting alternate history for New Israel from the one
I've
> been working on. It makes NI a much more minor player and basically
> protectorate and/or tech-lab for the UNSC. I wanted NI to be a small
but
> strong local force, so I took them more in the direction of the
independent
> spirit of the Chalutzim and a militant, somewhat paranoid, new-world
> Zionism.

It could be that some would blame the above attitude as being one of the
roots of the 2nd Holocaust and a low profile might be
safer for a couple of centuries.
However such a philosophy would not be unexpected or unreasonable from a
people that had been subjected to genocide twice in the space of less
than
one hundred years.

> Laserlight:
> > After the Second Holocaust, I don't expect the Israelis would
> > exactly have a great deal of faith and trust in the UN...to put
> > it mildly.
>
> That too. After the destruction of Old Israel, the rebuilt nation
cannot
> aford to rely on anyone else to be their protector. That's not to say
there
> can't be strong alliances (e.g. Japan, a primary contributor to the GF
and
> current major venture and trading partner). Plus, since it's also true
that
> Epsilon Indi is located closer to Sol and the Core than many of the
Inner
> Colonies, and is also along the coreward line of the KV incursion
(Using
> Nyraths admittedly unofficial starmap as a guide) the defensive needs
and
he
> UN and NI seem to be converging at the and of the 22nd century.

My view of the 22nd century has a UN very different from that we see
now.
Had WWIII broken out in the late 20th century the current UN would have
been
powerless to stop it or would be subverted to one side or the other.
The New UN would have the power and muscle to deter the superpowers from
'playing rough' in the back garden.

> Roger,  my take on NI and its relationships with the other FT powers
are
at
> http://members.xoom.com/gzg_l/ni/NIhome.htm The rest of the list is
probably
> bored seeng the URL.
>
>  Noam

Thanks I'll take a look....I do enjoy the background stuff a lot, it
enhances my personal gaming experiance.

Prev: Re: [FT] More for the testing range: The Grav Backfire Next: [SG?] new 15mm from GZG?