Prev: RE: Footfall (off-list) Next: Fw: Footfall (off-list)

RE: [FT] Battle report NAC-ESU

From: "Bell, Brian K" <Brian_Bell@d...>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 07:40:14 -0400
Subject: RE: [FT] Battle report NAC-ESU

I will put in a report as well.

For my 15th anniversary, my wife bought me another gaming table (I now
have
2 and thus a standard play area), YEA!!!!

I had an old friend over to play. The last time that we played we were
still
using FT 2nd edition ships/rules and cinematic movement. I composed 2
forces
and let him choose which one to use. The play area was 60x96 with 2-4"
diameter planets off-set about 1/3rd the distance from the long edges of
the
table.

NAC:
2 Ticonderoga DD
2 Furious CE
2 Vancenburg/T CH
1 Avalon/T BDN
(http://members.xoom.com/_XMCM/rlyehable/ft/ft25/ships101-150.html#avalo
nt)

ESU:
2 Novgorod FF
2 Volga DH (Was supposed to be Voroshilev CH, but I copied the wrong
page
and did not notice until 3/4 of the way through the game)
2 Tibet CL
1 Xiang BDN
(http://members.xoom.com/_XMCM/rlyehable/ft/ft25/ships101-150.html#xiang
)

He picked the NAC by appearance of the miniatures (I was glad,
especially
after I found my mistake on copying SSDs).

I explained about vector movement, new firing arcs, and penetrating
damage
from beams. Since the Avalon/T is asymetrical, I also explained about
rolling and emphisized the skewed firing arcs on the Avalon/T.

We did a standard start (for us) we rolled  for starting clock position
on
the table (1d6+7 gave me clock faces 8-2 and 1d6+2 gave him 3-7. He
rolled
and started at clock face 5  facing 6 and I started at clockface 2
facing
11). Set up was anywhere within 24tu of the starting point.

We set up and took about 2 turns to get oriented and start moving toward
each other (good time to learn about vector movement).

We were on opposite sides of Planet A about 38tu appart. I pinged
against
his shield with the Xiang's class-4 beam (primarily to let him know that
had an extra large beam weapon).

We closed to about 28tu. He was moving about 9 at this point and I was
at
about 6. As we moved into range, He opend up with P-Torps from the
Avalon/T.
The poor Tibet evaporated. We traded shots, with him doing more damage
with
P-Torps and his Class-3s than I could with the Class-3s and 4s from the
Xiang.

I saw his course and speed and reminded him about Planet B that he was
heading for. Then we wrote orders. We closed to about 20tu. I guessed
wrong
about his movement, so could not bring all weapons to bear on him, as he
was
out of arc for some weapons.
We traded shots and it was bloody. I took criticals on all but the Xiang
and
one Novogrod of my ships. He lost a Ticonderoga. During this round one
of
the Vandenburg/Ts also lost its forward pod (the miniature, not on the
SSD).
I explained that things happen.

Orders. I was badly hurt, so decided to vector for escape. He tried to
maneuver to avoid the planet. We ended up under 12tu from each other.
Again,
shots were traded. I lost a Tibet and he lost a Furious. Both sides were
now
well into threshold checks. I retired a Volga due to damage. He retired
the
other Ticonderoga for the same reason.

Orders. I burned for escape. He burned to miss Planet B and mostly
succeeded. He lost a Vandenburg/T to deceleration trama. At this time it
was
12:30am and we called the game a draw. I think that we both enjoyed it
as
time slipped by without our noticing.

-----
Brian Bell