Prev: RE: [OT] List Down? Next: Re: [FT] Modular fighter rules ?

DS: ADS and Artillery

From: "Brian Bilderback" <bbilderback@h...>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 15:29:19 PDT
Subject: DS: ADS and Artillery

I've been giving some thought to the comments that a few people have
made
about how ADS should be capable of defending against artillery attacks,
but
that how to resolve it in game terms would require adding FireCon to
artillery.  I have a simpler solution to suggest.  It may not be 100%
realistic, but it's plausible and playable, so here's a shot:
>From the comments in the original rulebook regarding artillery, it
seems to
me that it can be assumed that, other than the case of HAR's, the
difference
between light, medium, and heavy artillery is a function of the amount
of
munitions they can lay down as well as their calibre.  This is arguable,
but
for the sake of this system, let's assume this to be true.  From this
assumption, I came up with these rules:

ADS fire is only effective against artillery attacks when the center
point
of aa artillery piece's fire mission falls within the effective range of
the
ADS (I'll leave it up to individual players to determine if the
effective
range vs artillery should be the same as against aircraft or GMS').
Thus an
artillery attack whose center point is outside this range, but whose
beaten
zone is within it, would not be affected by an ADS.

For a closed sheaf attack, treat the entire mission as 1 attack against
which the ADs must defend.  For each point by which the ADS defeats the
artillery attack, reduce the power of the attack by 1 artillery piece.
(The
reason for this is that once the ADS has zoned in on where the arty
attack
is coming from, it's easier to defeat the following shells)

For an open sheaf attack,  treat each gun whose attack falls within the
effective zone as a separate attack (These missions have several
different
angles of attack, and thus are harder to defend against), and the
effectiveness of the ADS is reduced by the number of guns it defends
against, just as with GMS'.

I'd be interested to hear what people think, and if anyone would be
interested in trying this rule out in play, please let me know how it
works.

Brian Bilderback

Prev: RE: [OT] List Down? Next: Re: [FT] Modular fighter rules ?