Prev: Re: [FT] FB2 Torpedo Fighters (was Fighter customization) Next: Re: [FT] FB2 Torpedo Fighters (was Fighter customization)

RE: The interception challenge

From: Brian A Quirt <baqrt@m...>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 11:28:02 -0300 (ADT)
Subject: RE: The interception challenge

On Jun 15, "Robertson, Brendan" <Brendan.Robertson@dva.gov.au> wrote:

> Just started doing the math.
> At thrust 4, Fleet B is 10,400 MU from point C, turn 80 = vel 96
>
> The sensor picket in 2D would require a sensor buoy or picket ship
> every 104" on the circumference around C at 10,400"; this would
> require 3.3 million buoys for detailed sensor data.

	Most of the post, I agree with, but not this. Even using FT2
sensor
rules, the 54" range is for IDENTIFICATION, not detection - beyond 54"
you still know that ships are THERE, even if you don't necessarily
know EXACTLY what ships they are. A fair-sized fleet appearing in an
unexpected place is grounds to launch an interception REGARDLESS of
whether you have precise IDs (after all, if they're friendly, you'll
(probably) find out before you actually fire...).
	In fact, FT2 doesn't GIVE a maximum detection range (in the
campaign
rules, ships are detected WHENEVER they enter a system, which I find
highly probable). Admittedly, this could result in firing on ships
which turn out to be friendly (and in not knowing precisely who/what
your target is when you open fire), but that isn't (IMO) unreasonable.

-Brian Quirt (I'll treat the subject in (at least a bit) more depth
later, when I have some more time....