Prev: Re: The iCloak Next: Re: [FT] Fighter customization

Re: Forcing fights

From: Roger Books <books@m...>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 17:06:23 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: Forcing fights

On 14-Jun-00 at 16:44, Mikko Kurki-Suonio (maxxon@swob.dna.fi) wrote:
> Beth,
>
>  I've moved this basic idea to "The Interception Challenge", which I
hope
> clarifies my side of the issue.
>
>  However, as to your question/comment, the basic gist is this: If I
can
> custom design all my other ships, why couldn't I custom design my
> transports? And if I can do that, why wouldn't I use a transport that
> doesn't *need* escorts because it can't *ever* be forced to fight?

Sure, you can custom design your transports, but you need to act as
if you had a limited budget.  In our campaign where transports are
a necessity they tend to be thrust 2.  It's just too hard to justify
spending the money on fast transports when you need the combat ships.

This isn't saying you won't escort them, just that you lose flexability
if you use expensive transports.

Here, let me micro-scale it.

You have 5K points for your 3 world empire to start.  After start
each world produces 100NPV.  One world has a shipyard, the other
points from other worlds must be moved to the shipyard, 1 mass of
cargo space hauls 1 NPV/turn.  You also need cargo space to replace
expendable munitions (SMs, Subminitions, fighters), 1 mass of
cargo space for each NPV or 6 mass for fighters.  Pick your maintenance
rules (probably linear by cost).  Build your fleet.

Just work through this little exercise and see what you end up with
in the way of cargo ships.  This is the same thing experienced by
the large empires just on a slightly bigger scale.

Roger

Prev: Re: The iCloak Next: Re: [FT] Fighter customization