Prev: Re: Crowbars, etc. Next: Re: The iCloak

Re: The iCloak

From: "John C" <john1x@h...>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 20:46:01 GMT
Subject: Re: The iCloak

> > Hmmm, how about roll normal die for missiles, subtract 5 for a
> > still, nonFiring iCloak.  Each PDS used counts as a class one
> > against missiles.
>
>Murphy had something to say about this:  "Tracers work both ways."
>
>Loosely translated, I'd say that if you want to have the iCloak affect
the
>missiles, you shouldn't fire at any of them or else the guidance
software
>on all the other ones will triangulate where those beams came from with
>cathartic, "Hey, there you are!  Thanks, I was having some trouble
finding
>you..."  ;)

I had forgotten about PDS.  My gut feeling is that each active PDS would

give another +1 to the opponent's locking-on roll…my gut has nothing to
base
this on, though.  Well, other than the fact that it's really looking
forward
to dinner.

>Question:  should a ship with a conventional cloaking device be allowed
>drop it down to an iCloak level as a "medium point" between full-cloak
and
>full-visible?	I'd think so...

I was thinking of the Fnord device as an alternative to regular cloaks
-- a
lot of people just plain don't like them.  (I do, although I've never
been
that good at using them...I keep materializing in the middle of an
asteroid,
which puts something of a strain on my crews).	Using it as an interim
step
between fully cloaked and uncloaked is an interesting idea, though -- in

this case I would feel obliged to give the Fnorded ship some kind of
firing
penalty, to reflect the way that cloaking renders the ship both
invisible
and blind.  Maybe a -1 on all Beam rolls, or something like that.

John Crimmins			  john1x@hotmail.com
     http://www.voicenet.com/~johncrim/index.html

   "We're not at home to Mr. Reasonable, sergeant."
   "I do not hear him knockin', sir."
    --Terry Pratchett, _The Fifth Elephant_

Prev: Re: Crowbars, etc. Next: Re: The iCloak