Prev: Re: Retrograde skirmishers Next: Re: Crowbars, etc.

First comments on The Interception Challenge(tm)

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@s...>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 23:33:52 +0300 (EEST)
Subject: First comments on The Interception Challenge(tm)

Laserlight: Please, do the math if you plan to submit that. Also, no
points equivalence was called for. If you find a solution that depends
on
e.g. A having ten times the points/ships B has, submit it. But you must
do
the math and give hard figures (and/or free variables), but you can't
assume that any single one of A's ships is better than B's ("If A can
fly
it, so can B").

Roger: Please re-read the rules. Trivial solutions are not accepted.

Brian: The idea behind the 20 turn limit is that if you are that close
C, the defenses C has start to come into play turning this effectively
into a raid against C, not an intercept against B. If it helps your
thinking, assume C is a VERY VERY powerful, but immobile base. The very
idea of intercepting something is to stop/divert it *before* it gets
where
it wants to go.

Matthew: Very good. Work on it. As a clarification, though, B plans to
stop at C, so vector is not a completely dead cause.

KH: Please re-read the rules. "A must be able to *stay* within weapon
range". So it would be your case 3. However, if no one is able to come
up
with that, the best "drive-by" solutions are considered.

Oh, and btw: If anyone is serious about taking up the challenge, I will
gladly examine your proposals and offer comments -- but I cannot archive
intermediate versions! So keep the entire text of the final truth on
*your* disk safe and sound.

Also, anyone else brave enough to chip in the prize purse is welcome. I
won't be submitting mýself and Jon will probably be more than happy to
arrange for the actual prize, so no need to fear I engineered this just
rip off someone.

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	  | A pig who doesn't
fly

Prev: Re: Retrograde skirmishers Next: Re: Crowbars, etc.