Prev: Re: Crowbars Next: Re: Crowbars

Re: Crowbars

From: Nyrath the nearly wise <nyrath@c...>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 06:40:57 -0400
Subject: Re: Crowbars

adrian.johnson@sympatico.ca wrote:
> I read a novel a few years back (don't remember title) in which Earth
was
> pasted by an alien race.  Actually, Earth getting pasted happened in
the
> first chapter (they hit us with a big rock at near lightspeed) - and
the
> story was about the (very few) survivors.  Turned out that the aliens
> didn't bear us any particular malice, they just figured that in the
end,
> any species capable of interstellar expansion would become a threat to
> species survival 'cause any species that fights its' way off planet is
an
> agressive one, so they'd better whack us before we figured out to
whack
> them.

	THE KILLING STAR by Charles Peligrino and George Zebrowski.

	Out of print but I really reccomend this book.

	The gist of it was in the Three Laws of Alien Interaction.

	[1] Wimps don't get to be the top species on a planet.

	[2] Aliens will consider their survival to be more important
	than our survival.

	[4] Aliens will assume that the first two laws apply to us
	as well.

	If you discover an new alien race, there is a chance that
	they will destroy your own species.  What sort of chance
	of species death are you willing to risk?
	One percent?  Point five percent?

	Remember, your entire race is at stake.

	The logical answer is zero percent.  If you can destroy
	the newly discovered race, do so.

	This would explain the Fermi Paradox.  All the other
	races are either extinct or hiding.

Prev: Re: Crowbars Next: Re: Crowbars