Prev: Re: Forcing fights Next: Re: Forcing fights

Re: Forcing fights

From: Beth Fulton <beth.fulton@m...>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 17:50:56 +1000
Subject: Re: Forcing fights

G'day Mikko,

 >There wouldn't BE any convoy if the nation running it wasn't so
 >gentlemanly as to give their enemies a shot at destroying the cargo.
 >THAT'S what I'm getting at.
 >
 >If I was playing the defender in that scenario, I would be asking:
"WHY,
 >oh WHY, would I use transports that are actually slow enough to be
 >caught?"

I haven't been paying attention so I may have the wrong end of the stick

here <if I have feel free to belt me with the right end ;)>, but the
construction of merchantmen (at least when a conflict begins) isn't
going
to depend on whether they're going to get caught or not but how cost
effective it is. If I give my merchantmen a mass/size that makes it
worth
hauling cargo from one end of my mega-super star empire (stop sniggering

the IAS, Independent Antarctic States for the new comers, WILL rule the
universe someday....) then putting engines on it is going to take up
more
valuable cargo space than I'm willing to sacrifice. So I end up going
slow
enough that I'm gonna need escorts to protect them, but if they're going
the job properly they're going to have stay at the cargo haulers speed
most
of the time (at least until something turns up to threaten them) and so
interceptions can happen.

Sorry if that was completely NOT what you were talking about.

I'll shut up now ;)

Beth

----
----
Elizabeth Fulton
c/o CSIRO Division of Marine Research
GPO Box 1538
HOBART
TASMANIA 7001
AUSTRALIA
Phone (03) 6232 5018 International +61 3 6232 5018
Fax 03 6232 5053 International +61 3 6232 5053

email: beth.fulton@marine.csiro.au

Prev: Re: Forcing fights Next: Re: Forcing fights