Prev: Re: Retrograde from hell Next: Re: EW in Dirtside

Re: The GZG Digest V1 #932

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@s...>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 10:49:36 +0300 (EEST)
Subject: Re: The GZG Digest V1 #932

Örjan:

> Why not go further still, say MD10 or more? <g>

MD8 ain't the max anymore? I must say I haven't done FB to death the way
did with FT/MT.

> Um... The basic goal of all tactics is to force the enemy to do
> something he'd rather not. In this particular case he'd rather not
move
> closer, so what you seem to say is that you're genuinely interested in
> the tactics I used, especially if they don't involve tactics?

??? I don't get you. In tennis, there's this concept of forced errors
and
unforced errors. Basically, an unforced error is when you screw up. A
forced error is the result of your opponent *forcing* you to take a bad
choice.

Now, if you just say "lure him closer" that's basing your tactics on an
unforced error -- something I'd rather not bet on against a competent
opponent.

What I was looking for is your idea how to FORCE closing of the range,
making it a forced error.

> Sorry, I've never played against a omniscient computer. I only play
> against human players.

Well, in that case, just assume a human opponent who will not make
unforced errors.

> The only real reason for space battles (or wet-naval battles) is to
> ensure that you can go wherever you want and stop the other guy from
> doing the same. Destroying the enemy ships is only a means to this
end,
> after all.

You're getting there... almost. Now, let's say this "sniper" is actually
fast cargo ship. Or a strike ship en route to your starbase. Or a scout.
It does NOT want a fight. But you DO. Because if you can't FORCE it to
fight, you can't stop people from going where they want -- which, in
turn,
reduces the choice of "realistic" battles to series of raids against
immobile installations.

And all it takes is having top-o-the-line drives and willingness to
immediately disengage.

In another posting, Örjan wrote:
> Of course, Mikko will very soon comment on how cm-measuring sucks...
> I*H*O of course, not M :-/

My personal opinion, nothing more. Though I must add that neither the
official FT miniatures, NOR the "standard" bases are suited for
cm-scale.
Sure, get new teeny-weeny minis and bases and it'll work -- but not with
the standard stuff.

Btw: The smaller Kallistra ships come with smaller than standard
bases. Those might be a good choice.

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	  | A pig who doesn't
fly

Prev: Re: Retrograde from hell Next: Re: EW in Dirtside