Prev: Re: FTL Communication Next: RE: Custom Fleets & Gimmickry

Re: Retrograde gimmickry

From: BDShatswell@a...
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 14:00:55 EDT
Subject: Re: Retrograde gimmickry

Laserlight's dead on.  Strong planetary defenses would be a likely
alternative.  I know too that we have discussed the viability of
minefields
on the list, but a society threatened by horrific dreadplanets could
hinder
the approach of the assault ship with them.  The field need not damage
the
supership with low thrust, just gain time for an intercepting fleet or
other
various defenses to prepare.  Turning to avoid the minefield will
certainly
take some time for a thrust-1 ship.

Bill

In a message dated 6/11/00 10:37:09 AM Central Daylight Time,
laserlight@quixnet.net writes:

<<  A possible alternative, though: Heavy planetary defenses.
 Ground-based Beam 8's, screen 3's (yeah, they're not in FB1, so
 what?	This is a planet, not a ship), multiple ADFC and PDS
 clusters, SMR-ER's and fighter bays...a dreadplanet assault on a
 heavily defended base might be interesting.  The only difficulty
 is that you'd have to build such defenses on _every_ planet.

Prev: Re: FTL Communication Next: RE: Custom Fleets & Gimmickry