Prev: RE: Retrograde from hell Next: Re: "Custom" fleets

Re: "Custom" fleets

From: stiltman@t...
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 09:09:53 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: "Custom" fleets

> Myself, I don't think I would consistently apply the house rules
stiltman
> originally listed, but of course he can.  But I will always take his
advice
> on tactics and fleet composition with a grain of salt because I know
his
> house rules are very different from my own, and he should always take
mine
> (and most other people's, too) with a grain of salt because they play
under
> different rules.

Well, I don't know if I'd go _that_ far.  I'm actually planning on
trying out
a bit of Oerjan's tactics once I've got a few of his designs traded for
mine,
not to mention that I just might start sticking a few Kra'Vak drives on
other
ships (torpedo- and beam-armed) to toy around with the idea even without
them.  I don't think that would be unbeatable either, but it would be
worth
a shot, certainly.

FWIW, high-speed maneuvering is not unheard of in our games, and
sometimes
even decides the things.  One of my last couple of games with my
bro-in-law,
I was playing a set of carriers mounting the usual Stilt Horde Of
Fighters,
but escorting them was a pair of thrust 6 battlecruisers with strong
hulls
and about 8-10 needle beams.  My bro-in-law had an area defense phalanx,
which
I flanked at Oerjan Velocities with these things before cutting in to
get
within needle beam range, and took out about three or four of his ships'
ADFCs to help clear the way for the fighters to attack.  The NC's had a
rather
rough time of it, yes... one got destroyed outright by Class 1 beam fire
and
the other lost half its drives to a threshold roll and barely stayed on
the
board.	But it's got its place, even in my games. :)

I'm merely saying I wouldn't put thrust 6 on _most_ of my ships... it
always
has its uses on a few special-purpose ones.
--
 The Stilt Man		      stiltman@teleport.com

Prev: RE: Retrograde from hell Next: Re: "Custom" fleets