Prev: RE: [FT] FB2 Errata Next: Re: "Custom" fleets

Re: "Custom" fleets

From: Indy <kochte@s...>
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 10:25:22 -0400
Subject: Re: "Custom" fleets

Peter C wrote:

> >From: Brian Bell <bkb@beol.net>
>
> >I usually play fixed edges, because it shortens the game and reduces
> >arguments on where a fleet is when off the table. But I usually also
play
> >with smaller ships (cruisers and  escorts) where the average range is
24tu
> >with only an occasional 36tu weapon. And I almost play vector
exclusevly.
> >If I played more big ships or cinematic, I too would have to insist
on a
> >floating table.
> >

> Out of curiosity...  how does one manage the case where both sides fly
past
> each other and off of the table in opposite directions due to
excessive
> speed?  Where does one "float" the table to?

Guess it depends on how people maneuver, and what speeds they are going.
When this has happened to games I've been in, both sides have been doing
their damndest to get turned around, so the table *usually* ends up
floating
sideways. That or we pull some extra table or chair or SOMEthing in for
few moments to allow people to get back into the fray again.

> I would like to use a floating table but haven't found a solution to
this
> problem that doesn't involve putting my beer down to record where
everyone
> is located, 'off table'.  Too much paper work... is there a more
elegant
> solution?  Otherwise, I'd just soon stick with the fixed table method
> discussed in FT2.

Oerjan's solution is to play in cm, not inches. His playing field
suddenly becomes more than 2.5x larger.  :-)

Mk

Prev: RE: [FT] FB2 Errata Next: Re: "Custom" fleets