Prev: RE: [FT] FB2 Errata Next: Re: FB2... hmmmm...

RE: To float or not to float

From: "Bell, Brian K" <Brian_Bell@d...>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 08:48:08 -0400
Subject: RE: To float or not to float

[Bri] Yuch! This means that your flagship and your opponent's flagship
are
within Class-2 beam range and sit and slug it out. Better would be to
rule
that
the flagship may not leave the table and float the table to put the
flagships toward the center of the table every other or every 3rd turn
(if a
flagship leaves the table, the table is floated immediatly). Also, if
one
flagship comes to a dead stop (parks), the table is floated with that
ship
as close to the center of the table as possible, while still allowing
the
opposing flagship to stay on the table.

> If you are off the board and get a bridge hit, or otherwise lose
> contact with the main fleet, you're gone. If you are off the board and
out
> of reasonable weapon range from the edge (class-3, let's say), you
don't
> get to place a mini but must plot moves on paper only.
> OR: Apply your regular hard-edge penalties.
[Bri] Or disallow combat off-board. Also, to re-enter the board, they
must,
before orders are written, indicate where they will enter, direction,
and at
what speed they are at (before applying thrust this turn). Note that
direction indicates only direction when entering, and does not reflect
any
course change that happens on-table.

> If ALL enemy ships are off the board at any time, the battle ends.
[Bri] Or if both flagships cannot be placed on the table (too far
appart),
the battle ends (and give victory points to the flagship traveling the
slowest, as it is not forcing the end of game). This gives incentive not
park (as the enemy will close his flagship to optimal range [either for
guns
or maneuverability]).

> Now, this is obviously not without some problems, but it does prevent
the
> battle from spreading out too much while still preventing tactics such
as
> parking your most important ship in a corner.
[Bri] My solution is also not without problems or potential for abuse,
but

> --
> maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio)	    | A pig who doesn't
fly
> GSM +358 50 5596411 Tel +358 9 8092681	    | is just an
ordinary
> pig
> Länsimetsä 3B1 02300 ESPOO FINLAND	 Hate me? Try | 	- Porco
Rosso
> http://www.swob.dna.fi/~maxxon/      hateme.html  |

Comments above marked by [Bri]

Another good idea is to roll randomly for a clock point on the table
where
each fleet must set up. This adds variety to games rather than the
straight
face-off from each end of the table. I suggest that players choose
fleets
before determining starting points.

Procedure:
1) Players determine fleets they will use.
2) Each player rolls 2d6
  2a) The first d6 indicates the clock face on the table in which they
must
set up (Player A gets 3-8, Player B 9-2 for clock faces).
  2b) The second d6 indicates the course of the fleet (Player A gets 9-2
and
Player B 3-8 for ship course).
3) Fleets must be within "fleet integrety" limits. Every ship must be
within
8" of another ship. The entire fleet must be within a 1-1/2' radius of
the
entry clock point on the edge of the table. Obviously if you have a lot
of
ships, the radius may be expanded. After initial placement, ships do not
have to stay within fleet integrety.
4) Entry speed is limited to 1/2 the short width of the game table or
less
(guarantees that flagships will not leave the table on the first turn).

-----
Brian Bell
bkb@beol.net
http://members.xoom.com/rlyehable/ft/
-----

Prev: RE: [FT] FB2 Errata Next: Re: FB2... hmmmm...