Prev: Battletech, Sky Galleons and How I Found Full Thrust(was Re: Designs systems) Next: Re: FB2... hmmmm...

Re: FB2... hmmmm...

From: Indy <kochte@s...>
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2000 10:42:03 -0400
Subject: Re: FB2... hmmmm...

stiltman@teleport.com wrote:

[...]
> > How?
>
> > 1.	High speed.  High speed can negate fighters.  At 30 fighters
just
> > can't keep up, and in order to guess where the ship will be you have
> > to spread them out so the point defenses are leveraged.
>
> At 30, that's borderline out-of-control.  There's no way you're going
> both meaningfully keep your weapons trained on me and stay out of the
way
> of my fighters.  I wouldn't bother guessing or spreading them... I'd
pile
> them all up in a position where, if you _ever_ turn in to put your
full
> firepower on the main ship, you're going to get dogpiled.  I don't
have to
> cover a full space of 30 -- I can just go their usual 24 and, since
I'm
> cutting an inside track nearer my ship than you are trying to stay out
of
> their reach, I don't _need_ to go as far in linear distance to keep
you
> out.	Some of the fighters will probably be outright screening in
numbers
> proportionate to your SM capacity.
>
> Then I'll divide up my plasma into half-and-half hunks and put up a
> continuous and _focused_ barrage to hit you at the longer ranges.
>
> If you cut a path to the ship, the fighters kill you.  If you dance at
long
> range, sooner or later I'll outguess you, and my plasma's going to
hurt a
> lot more than your weapons will at that range.

Sad that I have less and less time these days. If I had the time, I'd
be damned tempted to run a PBeM game for y'all (stiltman, oerjan, books,
et al :) so you could actually pit these various ideas up against each
other.

Alas...  :-/

Mk

Prev: Battletech, Sky Galleons and How I Found Full Thrust(was Re: Designs systems) Next: Re: FB2... hmmmm...