Prev: RE: Pre-measuring things Next: Re: FT: needle beam targets

Re: FT: needle beam targets

From: stiltman@t...
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 16:10:32 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: FT: needle beam targets

> Do you have to specify the exact weapon when firing at a weapon
> type with needle beams?  For example, this "behemoth" we are
> plotting to kill has 2 or 3 class-5 beams with different arcs.  Do
> you have to specify which class-5 by its arcs or can you say
> "any class-5 beam" and the target's player gets to choose?
> Or can both be used (if I specify the arcs it has to be that weapon
> or if I give a class he can choose any one of them)?

I'd say that you ought to be able to specify exactly which one, right
down
to the arcs of fire that the one in particular that you want fires
through.
Needle beams are pretty exacting weapons, they're designed to be able to
hit a pinpoint spot on a system to knock it out... I'd find it rather
incredible that you'd hit a system and not know which one you were
pointing
it at.

> Btw, it's a 1000 mass Aquarian (sp?).

*drool*  Is there a URL where I could look at this puppy somewhere?
It's
not on the registry, so... :)

> The best we've done so far
> is needle beam'd its drives so it FTL'd away.  We want to
> actually destroy it; which means we need to needle beam its FTL
> drive, also.

Yeah, on a large ship (particularly large battleships) drives are
usually one
of the better things to needle out, in my experience.  Screens are
another good
choice.  I _would_ say that you could also aim at firecons, but if
you've got
few enough deployable needle beams that just landing three hits is a
problem (i.e. two sublight and the FTL drives) then aiming at firecons
on a
ship that size probably is kind of pointless.
--
 The Stilt Man		      stiltman@teleport.com

Prev: RE: Pre-measuring things Next: Re: FT: needle beam targets