Prev: [AD] ESU Fleet for sale Next: Announce: Updated Sa'Vasku Designer Available

[DS/SG]Strategic Dirtside/Stargrunt

From: "Denny Graver" <den_den_den@t...>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 16:14:43 +0100
Subject: [DS/SG]Strategic Dirtside/Stargrunt

Subject: Re: [DS/SG]Strategic Stargrunt

> Jon Davis wrote:
>  It may make more sense to convert SG & DS to a "hex" based game for
the
>  purposes of mapping and movement.

True. As long as each unit has a finite position I'm happy.  Although
you
could quite happily play without a hex grid using the clock face or
compass
directions for movement.

>These games have not lent themselves
> to be done via PBeM, but that just means that the list hasn't figured
> out the best way to do it yet.

Thats what I intend to do :).

DS seems to be the most easily adapted, although SG could work as well.

The way I see it, to reflect the tabletop game you would need to play
one
unit/element activation at a time.  It would be slow in some ways as the
enemy can react with opportunity fire, but if executed well would be a
good
game  - assuming players responded with turns quickly that is.	Dealing
with
one unit at a time would be GM friendly and allow the battle to pan out
in
the same way as a tabletop game.  I would also avoid reams of
contingency
orders.

> Robert W. Hofrichter
> My site has several TO&E (<SNIP>
> Oh yes, the address is http://rwhofrichter.webprovider.com/index.htm
>
> Good luck.

Thanks, page now book marked - Mine... All mine Bwaha ha haaa! :)

> Indy wrote:
> Serendipitously funny, I was just reviewing my old notes from long
> ago on this topic this morning (okay, old notes in my head, not on
> a piece of paper; otherwise they'd've gotten kinda soggy in the
shower)
> and was rethinking that a graph paper-based map would be better (then,
> depending on the resolution you wanted to have, you could either
denote
> where the center of a given unit is, or where each individual element
of
> said unit is).

Yup.  When I looked at the idea back in 98' I figured each squad/section
would be centred on the commander with all squad members plotted
relative to
he/she/it
This could be varied by unit configuration, column, line, wide open
order,
etc. so exact position could be worked out at a moments notice.

>  Needs more tweaking/thought, but I don't have time right at the
> moment other than for sporadic flares of impulsed thoughts.  :-/

Its the flares we all look for in life ;D

Prev: [AD] ESU Fleet for sale Next: Announce: Updated Sa'Vasku Designer Available