Prev: Re: Ship Sales II (LLAR) Next: Could somebody send me the FMA rules?

[FT]: re: RE: HBW and Cutter Beam

From: "David Reeves" <davidar@n...>
Date: 30 May 2000 14:26:08 -0500
Subject: [FT]: re: RE: HBW and Cutter Beam

Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 09:58:53 -0400
From: "Bell, Brian K"

I can't remember if there was any conclusions either (and I can never
fin= d the archives). Since FB2 came out, my biggest objection to the
Heavy Beam Weapon (HBW), that of an auto-hit at close range, has been
overridden. The K-Guns use t= his mechanic. :-/
<<<<<<<<<<

for my FT B5 universe, i use a differing HBW concept which springs
from Schoon's Beam Capacitor System/Beam Emitter.  to quickly
summarize, the BCS generates energy points and the BE can shoot upto
its rating in these energy points.  so a BE-3 may shoot 1-3 energy at
any one time.  this is like schoon's system.  the main two differences
that i introduced are:

a) each energy point translates into 3 FT dice for hit/damage by young
races and 5 FT dice for first ones.  this takes care of the auto-hit
problem and keeps the game consistent.

b) my house rules do not allow the 1/3 BCS capacity recharge/turn
since that would allow BE to fire low-powered shots every turn given a
sufficient sized BCS.  this was getting munchkinized in our group, so
now energy point recharge is:

   1 EP/turn - younger races
   2 EP/turn - minbari, drakh
   3 EP/turn - first ones

so no matter how big the BCS capacity is, the recharge rate is the
same.  mass and cost are about 3X higher than the equivalent FT beam;
the advantage for HBW is that they dish it out all at once.  YMMV for
your universe.

dave

Prev: Re: Ship Sales II (LLAR) Next: Could somebody send me the FMA rules?