Prev: Measuring things... Next: Re: Measuring things...

RE: HBW & Cutter Beam

From: "Robertson, Brendan" <Brendan.Robertson@d...>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 17:05:07 +1000
Subject: RE: HBW & Cutter Beam

I just went through the archive & noticed that the old stuff was all
pre-FB2
(see archives around 2/2/2000).

There seemed to be consensus that HBW recharge 1/2 rating per turn
(round
down)

****
I would like to see a little middle ground with regards to the damage
effects.  The UN would have advanced on the PTorp technology, but I
don't
think it should be upgraded all the way to slice'n'dice reroll weaponry.

Game Mechanism:
Each point of charge gives 1 dice to hit using the PTorp to-hit
mechanism.
Each die that hits does 1d6 damage (strait roll) resolving damage
against
armour as per K-guns (1 point against armour, the rest against hull).

Mass/Cost:
Projectors are one arc weapons using 2 mass & can handle up to 4 die of
power.
Capacitors use 3 mass per rating and can be of any size, but each
projector
can only be linked to 1 capacitor (similar to SMLs).  The capacitor
recharges at 1/2 undamaged rating (round down).
Thresholds against the Capacitor are treated the same as MD hits (1/2
rating
on 1st failure, total damage on 2nd failure).

Cost at the normal 3 x mass.

*****
This gives a class-2 capacitor & 1 projector roughly equivalent
firepower to
2 x Ptorps once you take into account the armour penetration
characteristics
& recharge times.
The class-4 capacitor & 1 projector is slightly more efficient than 4 x
Ptorps, but has the drawback of no redundancy.

As the tech levels improve, this can be upgraded to the EFSB HBW rules.

Neath Southern Skies -http://home.pacific.net.au/~southernskies/
[mkw] Admiral Peter Rollins; Task Force Zulu
[DitD] Captain Puppilier