Prev: RE: [FT] SV Screen Node Question Next: Re: Sa'Vasku Colours

Re: [OT] Unsupported character sets

From: Tom Anderson <thomas.anderson@u...>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 23:47:48 +0100 (BST)
Subject: Re: [OT] Unsupported character sets

On Tue, 23 May 2000, Izenberg, Noam wrote:

>  17 of the last 23

fnord.

> ( and 7 out of the last 8) GZG-L digests I have received
> have the unsupported character set error in them. More specifically,
they
> all say:
>
> "This message uses a character set that is not supported by the
Internet
> Service.  To view the original message content,  open the attached
message.
> If the text doesn't display correctly, save the attachment to disk,
and then
> open it using a viewer that can display the original character"

i would guess that this message was generated by your mail handling
system. are you using X400 or something like that? are you by any chance
running VMS? i would guess that something along the line isn't keen on
variable character sets.

> While I can do what is asked to read the digests, it is a nuissance,
and
> seems to be something recent that's made this become so pervasive. Any
> suggestions from list cognoscenti?

i would guess that people are using dicey character sets, although (with
the exception of our scandinavian comrades) i can't think why. i read
the
list itself, rather than the digests, with a unix mailer on top of an
internet-unix style mail system, and all is well.

hth.

tom

Prev: RE: [FT] SV Screen Node Question Next: Re: Sa'Vasku Colours