Prev: Re: Simple Campaign Thrust Next: Re: Simple Campaign Thrust

Re: [FT]: re: Re: Sa'Vasku Ship Lifecycle

From: Beth Fulton <beth.fulton@m...>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 11:32:01 +1000
Subject: Re: [FT]: re: Re: Sa'Vasku Ship Lifecycle

G'day Dave,

 >besides, how can i argue with a marine biologist?  ;)

The same way you argue with everyone else... ;P

 >any thoughts about how long a ship takes to bud off and mature?
wouldn't
 >it be cool for a "bud" (or "buddette" -- had to be fair!) to gain
ability
 >as it matured?  it kinda rewards ships for surviving (read: watch the
 >players be more cautious).

Well you obviously wouldn't want it to take too long or the
ship/creature
is going to be too vulnerable. Personally I think it would take much
longer
than the span of time represented by a game to bud off a small ship,
though
releasing it from the brood chamber could be done quickly and would be
the
same as any other nation launching a vessel. And before you all go and
hit
me over the head with the fighters I still see them as body parts not
budded vessels so they wouldn't take long to release though regrowing
them
would have to happen post battle etc. I'd say that given their general
flexibility they'd be able to bud off single smaller ships (say less
than
fifth they're own size) in a few days if unstressed. Another option
would
be strobilation, where a ship would split in a transverse sense multiple

times (looks like a stack of pancakes) in this way a ship could split
itself into 3 or 4 ships or it could create a whole pile of smaller
ships
all at once (say up to 75% of its body mass, though it would need a fair

while to replenish that mass to do it again), however this would
obviously
take a bit longer than budding off a single ship - be an interesting
scenario to catch an SDN or something approaching the end of
strobilation
protected by a few cruiser sized ones... start off with SDN that can
only
use half its powerpoints each turn + some cruisers and then on turn x
(decided by dice roll before the game begins or something) you're facing
BC + destroyers + cruisers or something like that.

As for how fast they grow... well I think that they could grow very
quickly
under the right conditions (say a hull box every day, or few days, of
new
growth or 5-10 hull boxes of repair if in the perfect conditions and
unmolested), however most of the time I can't see them as being in
perfect
conditions so growth would be MUCH slower (more like a hull box of new
growth a month for the small ships and slower still for the really big
ships who will be concentrating more on reinforcing what they've got and

budding off smaller ships).

Anyways that's just a few thoughts off the top of my head and could do
with
refinement most likely.

Cheers

Beth

----
----
Elizabeth Fulton
c/o CSIRO Division of Marine Research
GPO Box 1538
HOBART
TASMANIA 7001
AUSTRALIA
Phone (03) 6232 5018 International +61 3 6232 5018
Fax 03 6232 5053 International +61 3 6232 5053

email: beth.fulton@marine.csiro.au

Prev: Re: Simple Campaign Thrust Next: Re: Simple Campaign Thrust