Prev: NAC Fifth Fleet Next: Re: Simple Campaign Thrust

Re: Simple Campaign Thrust

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 19:28:03 -0400
Subject: Re: Simple Campaign Thrust

Once again it is proved that if I think about something and
start making notes to write it up, someone else (often Schoon)
courteously reads my mind and writes it up for me.  Thanks :-\

I'm going to add some suggestions, though realizing that you're
probably ahead of me.

Task Forces:
Markers may be used for TF's, with strength 0, 1, 2, or 3.
(IIRC DS2 has counters in these denominations).  Strength 0
simulates recon elements and small craft fitted with ECM to
simulate larger units, and have no effective combat strength.
Strength 1 and 2 depict 500 FT points and 1000 points
respectively.

Counters may be inverted to conceal their strength.  This is a
means of providing limited intelligence--players may wish to
artificially limit the number of "0" counters, or they may do it
through economic means.

>Economics
> Each system has an Economic Value, listed above the system
icon.
>This is the income, in MUCr., that the system generates each
turn. The
>income may be allocated to construction, including repair, or
put into the
>treasury. Income assigned to the treasury may be used in any
system on the
>following turn, but may not be used for any purpose on the
current turn.

I'd suggest that 1 million population produce MCr100 per
quarter.

>Construction & Repair
> Shipyards may build or repair ships at the rate defined below.
The
>total cost of the ship, for new builds, must be paid when
construction is
>begun. Crippled ships cost half their value to repair, and this
cost must
>be paid in full when the repair is initiated.

If you want something more specific:
First row of hull boxes = 10% original cost
Second row = 20%
Third row = 30%
Fourth row = 40%
Therefore if you have a 40 hull ship which has lost 38 hull in
combat and originally costs X, the cost to repair it is
10%+20%+30% + ((7/10)*40%) = 88% of original cost to repair.
(I'm taking "checking off the last hull box" to mean "worthless
except for scrap", not "totally vaporized").

>Movement
> Each TF receives movement orders in Phase (3) of each turn.
These
>orders are in the format of "Direction / Distance," where
direction is one
>of the 12 clock facings, and distance is from 0-3 MU. So, NAC
TF12 might
>have orders of 9/3, meaning it will move 3 MU in direction 9.
> In Phase (5) each TF executes its movement orders. The player
with
>the lowest initiative moves a single TF first, followed by the
next lowest,
>etc. After all players have moved one TF, they then move a
second TF in the
>same order. This sequence continues until all TFs have executed
their
>movement orders. The actual movement direction may vary by up
to 15° off

that's degrees, not inches, of course
.
>the clock facing specified in the orders. This allows TFs to
slightly
>adjust their movement to allow for specific destinations or
targets.
> TFs may move again in Phase (6) by expending an Endurance
Point,
>exactly like fighters in Full Thrust. This move requires no
orders and may
>be in any direction for up to 3 MU.

>Combat
> If two opposing TFs end their movement within 3 MU,

3 light years?	How about "in the same system"?

Prev: NAC Fifth Fleet Next: Re: Simple Campaign Thrust