Prev: Re: [FT] Fleet Survey #2: Best Fleets Next: RE: [FT] Fleet Survey #2: Best Fleets

RE: [FT] Fleet Survey #2: Best Fleets

From: "Bell, Brian K" <Brian_Bell@d...>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 07:20:15 -0400
Subject: RE: [FT] Fleet Survey #2: Best Fleets

I forgot to mention my aesthetic preferences in my response.

My favorite design is the ESU Nanuchka CT (original)
[http://www.geohex.com/vift203.htm]. It has a techno-shark-in-space look
that I very much appreciate. I would love a whole fleet range on this
theme
<sigh>.

Second, I like asymertrical ship designs:
  NAC Miyazaki FF [http://www.geohex.com/vift104.htm]
  NAC Avalon BDN [http://www.geohex.com/vift111.htm]
    (although, I dislike the boom-and-bridge concept)
  KV Lu'Dak SC [http://www.geohex.com/vift402.htm]

Third, I like the Sa'Vasku (especially when mixed with ICE Silent Death
Night Brood ships). The mix is perfect (not too many bugs, not to many
crabs/spiders, not too many leaf/plants).

I like the FSE Ypres BC. The NAC Inflexible CVL is a good design
that matches its function. And I like the Komarov (but the wings need
to be tilted up like the Nanuchka "fins").

I like the NSL's no-nonsense style to ship design, but they are a little
thin in compairison to the rest of the fleets.

I like the Kra'Vak in the smaller ranges (SC to DH, less so CL to BB).

I also like the UN SDN-XL
[http://www.homestead.com/sfsfwft/files/latest.html], but do not care
for
the smaller ships in the line.

OU ships are nice, but there needs to be a full line of them.

What I did not like:

NAC boom-and-bridge design. It has the same problem that the Star Trek
ships
had: One hit and the boom should break (even if it is made of
Neutronium).

FSE are too much like Imperial Star Destroyers. The miniatures are
excelent
and Jon did a good job of keepint the flavor of the design, while not
copying it. But that is still what I think of when I see them.

ESU. These look too "airplane-ish" to me. If they were listed as being
semi-atmosphericaly streamlined, it would be OK, but they are not. Wings
in
space are fairly usless, unless you are planning to go into an
atmosphere.

IC. The crecent matches the intended purpose, but I still think of the
ships
as not-Centauri. I prefer that Jon make new designs and not not-copies
of
other designs.

UNSC. Except for the SDNs, I don't care much for the rest of the fleet.
They
seem to loose the 3D aspect of the SDN ship. Most of the GZG miniatures
are
flattened (vertically or horizontally).

Kra'Vak. The larger ranges I find strange. Like the NSL, they suffer
from
the problems of a boom design. In this case, it is a
boom-and-weapon/engine
design rather than a boom-and-bridge design. When I first saw the KV
designs
in MT, I thought not-Klingon. But the designs avoided that.

Phalon. <obvious>

What I would like to see:

Techno-shark-in-space fleet similar to the Nanuchka (original).

Asymertrical designs.

A soft-curve designed fleet (Japan?). Capture the ultra-modern style of
the
60s/70s.

A LLAR fleet, a PAU fleet, a IC fleet.

Modular freighters that would be in scale with the warships. We have a
number of freighter designs, but most of them are too small compaired to
the
warships. We need some BULK freightors (mass 300+). Best would be a good
central core with lots of cargo "pods" to attach to it. Perhaps it
should be
sold in 2 parts; main ship and a couple of cargo pods; and a blister of
cargo pods. The player could then decide how many pods to attach to the
cargo vessel.

Another non-organic technology sentient alien species. Preferably,
non-humanoid.

-----
Brian Bell
bkb@beol.net