Prev: Re: [FT] Fleet Survey #2: Best Fleets Next: Re: [FT] Fleet Survey #1: Fleet Ownership

Re: [SG][DS][Campaigns] Mass transport and low G planets

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 22:59:36 -0400
Subject: Re: [SG][DS][Campaigns] Mass transport and low G planets

>Rail travel could be a problem. Inertia remains the same, but
the wheel to
>rail contact force will only be 40% (I assume this is
proportional to
>gravity?) what it is on earth. Presumably that will reduce the
load that
>can be started and greatly increase the braking distance.

So?  I've seen coal trains around here with 1 locomotive and 80
cars.  So cut back to 1 locomotive and 40 cars.  Problem?

>There must be ways this problem could be reduced:
>-All wheels powered
>-Cog railway
>-Maglev (Something like Maglev feels right for a Sci-Fi
setting. Much more
>futuristic than steel rails. But how does the construction cost
compare.)

I've always assumed that a new planet will have a combination of
horses (self-replicating, low tech fuel, etc) and hovercraft or
ATV's for ground transport, plus ships for heavy transport.
Railways may (or may not) be cheaper in the long run--but they
must cost quite a bundle to build, and you can't do anything
with them until they're finished.  Further, your options are
limited--ie with an ATV truck you can go wherever the terrain
will let you, with a train you go only where the rail goes.

Prev: Re: [FT] Fleet Survey #2: Best Fleets Next: Re: [FT] Fleet Survey #1: Fleet Ownership