Prev: Re: [OT] Suggested Sci-Fi Next: Re: [OT] Suggested Sci-Fi

Re: [OT] Suggested Sci-Fi

From: Aaron Teske <ateske@H...>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 20:21:54 -0400
Subject: Re: [OT] Suggested Sci-Fi

At 06:34 PM 5/18/00 -0400, Laserlight wrote:
[snicker-snack]
>Horatio Hornblower books by CS Forester (set in Napoleonic Wars
>ca AD1800 but read them anyway, great insight into the thoughts
>of an aggressive captain).

And, in a similar vein but SF, the "Hope" series by David Feintuch
(starts
with Midshipman's Hope).

Also the two Star Wolf books (Voyage of the Star Wolf, The Middle of
Nowhere) by David Gerrold, though in the second he gets into the same
didactic moralising that filled his third Chtorr book and Starhunt.
(The
Chtorr books are good, if you don't mind a major leap in tech in the
fourth
book and the abrupt, if hopefully temporary, endpoint to the series
'cause
he doesn't have a publisher.)

If you can find it, get Butterfly and Hellflower, by Eluki Bes Shahar.
(That's the name of the book club omnibus; the individual books are
Hellflower, Darktraders, and Archangel Blues.)	It's a far-future
trilogy,
lotsa fun, though getting into the accents & patter takes a bit of work.

Far-far future stuff would include Gene Wolf's Book of the New Sun
series &
associated books, but that also verges into fantasy.

Hmm... that's about it from me, that hasn't been said on the list yet
anyway.
(I assume you've read Steakley's Armor....)

					Aaron

Prev: Re: [OT] Suggested Sci-Fi Next: Re: [OT] Suggested Sci-Fi