Prev: Re: Sa'Vasku Next: Re: [OFFICIAL] another related question (was: Re: Entry speeds)

Re: Entry speeds

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 18:24:30 +0200
Subject: Re: Entry speeds

Aaron Teske wrote in reply to Mikko:

>>Quick poll time: What do *you* (yes, you in the audience) use for
>>entry parameters? I.e. initial speeds, facings and distance?

The models start on the table, but that's about it <g>

In Cinematic "meeting engagements" (deep-space interceptions of
intruders etc) the ships generally start 100-120 mu apart (ie, the
table length, minus some space to deploy in formations rather than
having all models touching the table edge). No restriction on initial
velocities, but they tend to be in the 12-30 range depending on the
ship's thrust rating. Faster than that makes it difficult to adjust for
the opponent's maneuvers - if I need to go faster (few others will!) I
still have a turn or two to accellerate <g>l

In vector, we go slower - start out at speed 10-15 or so. Same set-up
distances and variants as in Cinematic.

But of course there are variations - stern chases with one force set up
in the middle of the table and the other (preferrably faster <g>) at
the table edge behind it, battles where the fleets start out in two
corners of the same short edge (about 70 mu apart) on slowly converging
courses, etc.

>Speeds: varies a lot.	Pick from: d6, 2x d6, 2x or 3x or 4x slowest
ship
>("cruising speed"), some # (6 or 8 or 10) + up to speed of ship...
>generally slow, if you go by Oerjan's standards.

<g>

Later,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: Sa'Vasku Next: Re: [OFFICIAL] another related question (was: Re: Entry speeds)