Prev: [OT] Stellar Conquest PBEM Next: Entry speeds

Re: [FH] Dollars per credit

From: aebrain@d...
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 01:41:00 GMT
Subject: Re: [FH] Dollars per credit

>>I was noticing that.	A supercarrier (Jeanne d'Arc) would be
>>approximately the equal of our current carriers but Jeanne d'Arc
>>masses something like 250kt whereas current CVA masses 90kt.
>>One the other hand a Jeanne d'Arc has a crew of about 260
>>officers and crew (plus fighter wing and marines) whereas a
>>modern carrier crew is something in the neighborhood of 5000 (I
>>don't recall if that includes air wing or not).

Well.. FB1 says Mass 250 = 25,000 t not 250,000.

The FB1 masses make the ships very much the same size as ships around
the turn
of the 19th century. Have a squizz at Jane's Fish & Chips of 1905, and
you'll
see Ships of the Line are usually about 12,500 tonnes, Armoured Cruisers
about
10,000, Protected Cruisers from 6-8,000, Scout Cruisers 4,000, and
torpedo boats/destroyers
anything from 100 tonnes up.

Of course in 1905, Massive Dreadnaughts of up to 25,000 tonnes were
under construction
too. And the largest of the Armoured Cruisers were 14,000 t (eg HMS
Terrible
IIRC).

As regards Carriers, the French ship Foudre carried a number of 50-tonne
boats
that had limited endurance: rather than boilers as such, they had
containers
for high-pressure steam and were refilled by the mothership in between
sorties.
Hey, there were even a number of "stealth" designs - submersibles.

You just have to pick the right Era...

Prev: [OT] Stellar Conquest PBEM Next: Entry speeds