Prev: Re: [OT] Bureau of Relocation Next: Re: [OT] Bureau of Relocation

Re: Colonization

From: "Brian Bilderback" <bbilderback@h...>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 17:36:19 PDT
Subject: Re: Colonization

>From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@quixnet.net>
>To: <gzg-l@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
>Subject: Re: Colonization
>Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 19:06:50 -0400
>
>    What I was primarily trying to point out is that there is an
>assumption, often stated, that "space travel is expensive."
>I'm trying to point out that that assumption is unfounded.

Actually, it's founded on historical precedent.  Maybe I should have
been a
bit clearer.  I'm talking about space travel during the period of
initial
exploration and colonization, NOT space travel forever....

>Sure, at first space travel is in the realm of big governments
>and huge corporations, but as long as it's possible, it will
>become more efficient; as it becomes more efficient and thus
>cheaper, more people will be able to go (unless artificially
>restricted by legal issues).  Yes, it will probably take a pull
>as well as a push, but the pull doesn't have to be a
>dollars-and-cents motive.

I totally agree with you on this point.  But it seems you're missing
mine.
There's a vast difference between commercial space travel between
established worlds, and colonization.

Brian Bilderback

Prev: Re: [OT] Bureau of Relocation Next: Re: [OT] Bureau of Relocation