Prev: Re: [OT] Bureau of Relocation Next: Re: [OT] Bureau of Relocation

Re: [FT] Floating Table

From: Tom Anderson <thomas.anderson@u...>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 00:18:21 +0100 (BST)
Subject: Re: [FT] Floating Table

On Thu, 11 May 2000 Aron_Clark@digidesign.com wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone would care to enlighten me as to the
mechanics of
> using a "floating table" in FT.  What I imagine is that when any model
will
> likely move off the playing surface all ships are shifted x MU from
the concered
> edge, in a straight line.  What happens in the event that this shift
will take
> other models off the table edge?  Though I don't imagine this is a
likely
> occurance.  Any observations, or clarifications of my interpetation
would be
> helpful.

i would add that in vector, you might be able to do a 'velocity float',
where rather than offsetting everyone's positions to get them back
on-table, you offset everyone's velocities. the point of this is that if
everyone is suddenly heading north by nortwest at speed 40, you are
going
to have to do a *lot* of position floats if you want to keep playing.
if,
when you do your first position float, you also float the velocities,
everyone is back down to sane speeds. i'm not entirely sure how this
interacts with non-movement game mechanics (does anything depend on ship
speed?), other than confusing non-vector elements like fighters, but it
could be useful.

tom

Prev: Re: [OT] Bureau of Relocation Next: Re: [OT] Bureau of Relocation