Prev: RE: DSII questions Next: Re: [OT] Bureau of Relocation

Re: Bureau of Relocation (Was Re: Reasons for colonizing)

From: Tom Anderson <thomas.anderson@u...>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 00:09:19 +0100 (BST)
Subject: Re: Bureau of Relocation (Was Re: Reasons for colonizing)

On Thu, 11 May 2000, A Scruffy Drummer wrote:

> On May 11, wargamergmw@juno.com wrote:
>
> >Somewhat like the Bureau of Relocation?  Where did I read that?
> >West of Honor??
>
> Sounds like the book where a group from England

not all of them were brits - one was from a dome city in the american
midwest.

> were grabbed and sent to a
> colony in sleep boxes but their ship crashed on a planet inhabited by
> sentient telepathic trees(?),

yup.

> small tree guardian bipeds, and giant hungry
> worms.

"that thing's tougher than space-steel!"

there were also little anthropoform (not quite humanoid) scurrying alien
dudes. the trees, worms and dudes all (eventually) fitted into this
wacky
Dune-esque ecology.

> There was a telepath that could communicate with the trees, I think.

that was the girl from the plains. she could, sort of. yes. eventually.
won't give the resolution of that away.

>   Too bad I can't remember the name, it was a good book as far as I
could
> remember it... even if the end started getting a bit lame.

'Exiles of ColSec'. ColSec = Colonisation Section. i read it in my
larval
days. lame is the word, but it was pretty good for kiddy sf. there were
sequels where they left the planet they colonised and joined some sort
of
rebellion against the evil government of earth. it had sound characters
-
the main character was a tough little scots guy, the villain was a
nutcase
quasi-governmen heavy, the love interest was the pyschic nerd and the
supporting cast were urban gangers with their initials branded on their
heads. there was a computer in it, too.

blast from the past there for you. nice!

tom

Prev: RE: DSII questions Next: Re: [OT] Bureau of Relocation