Prev: RE: 1/300 destroyers Next: Test post

From: "David Reeves" <davidar@n...>
Date: 11 May 2000 09:31:38 -0500

Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 10:30:03 +0300 (EEST) From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio

Please, no, don't screw up the game again! MT missiles (and level-3
screens, and "no sense
to buy anything but A-batts") was exactly the reason that turned me off
FT back then... If
anyone is really serious about bringing them back, try this exercise: -
- Make one normal
fleet, say vanilla FB1 designs=20 - - Make one fleet of equal value,
composed entirely of
"bathtub launcher= s": MD8, one MTM, FTL, minimal hull, nothing else.=20
- - Start the
battle in the normal way. The launcher fleet enters at maxi= mum allowed
velocity. - - On the
first turn (assuming table depth about 60" or less), the launc= her
fleet launches all missiles
and executes a hard turn away. (Cinematic -- tactics vary a bit in
vector, but the essence
stays the same) - - On the following turns they continue running and FTL
away at first
opportunity.

actually, our group discourages this type of behavior by scenario
victory conditions.  folks
who chicken out lose objective points and the scenario.  in campaigns,
this tactic doesn't
work for long either.  the "launch-and-run" player loses planets,
systems, and resources.

an aegis cruiser will discourage this too.  :-D

dave

Prev: RE: 1/300 destroyers Next: Test post