Prev: RE: MT missiles Next: Re: MT missiles

Re: MT missiles

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 18:54:10 -0400
Subject: Re: MT missiles

-----Original Message-----
From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@telia.com>
>Of course, this entire anti-MTM tactic depends on the fact that
MTMs do
>*not* use Vector movement. If they use Vector instead, their
range
>becomes virtually unlimited and Mikko's scenario plays out the
way he
>expects it to. Vector-moving MTMs, SMs, PBs, Nova Cannon or
Wave Gun
>shots or Energy Mines are seriously Bad Things (tm) for game
balance -
>been there, done that, worn the T-shirt out years ago... which
is of
>course why I was so negative to Andrew Apter's suggestion
yesterday.

>Vector-moving missiles and similar are of course very
*realistic*, but
>not a single one of the space combat games or novels I've seen
have
>ever come up with a playable solution to the problem of
high-speed
>missile strikes being very boring - that is, except for the the
>draconian solution "it is not allowed".

Area effect weapons (eg Phalon PBL, wave gun).
or
Lay down a "minefield" at a distance from the target.  It can
attack missiles (destroying them) and rocks (pushing them off
course)--anything moving faster than Xmu per turn, select X to
suit your fancy.  It isn't much good for a maneuvering fleet
because the minefield itself is stationary, but it would protect
fixed installations and planets.  For high speed strikes against
fleets, we ask with some curiousity  where you're getting your
targeting information from?

Prev: RE: MT missiles Next: Re: MT missiles