Prev: Fw: VIETNAM WARRIORS Next: Reasons for colonizing

Re: [OT]-Interstellar Trade: A new take

From: Donald Hosford <Hosford.Donald@A...>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 00:01:00 -0400
Subject: Re: [OT]-Interstellar Trade: A new take

I compleatly agree.  Here are some of my additional thoughts...

OTOH...If FTL drives are slow/expensive/dangerous/require rare
materials, then interstellar trade will be severly limited, and will be
expensive items only.

How fast/convienent the FTL drive is has an effect on the colonies.

Fast/cheap/easy drives means anyone can establish a colony...and getting
needed things is only a short trip away.  (Ever notice how few small
towns (near a big city) have factories?)  Only isolationists/ect would
make self-sustaining colonies in these settings.

Slow/expensive/dangerous/rare drives means every trip is expensive, so
every colony must be self-sustaining from the start.  Colonies could
expect to be on their own, except in times of emergency.

Donald Hosford