Prev: Re: [fh] why justify? was Re: [OT]-Interstellar Trade: A new take Next: RE: Texaco Free Trade Zone (LONG) Re: [GZG-ECC and GZGPedia] I Need Your Help!

Re: MT Missile implementation

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 19:31:30 -0400
Subject: Re: MT Missile implementation

>1) Missile has set amount of fuel (thrust) and can expend it at
a maximum
>rate (say 12 thrust). Missile moves as any other non-fighter
space object.
>In vector, it wouldn't miss unless the missile AI (read: human
player) was
>really buggy. When launched, inherits vector of ship. (So don't
try to shoot
>missiles at a pursuer...). Make it score contact hits (hit the
base of the
>figure if that is more reasonable) or give it a terminal
guidance range of
>3" like SMLs in vector (suggested version).

Say I have a 3000 point fleet, 10-15 ships, and one--just
one--of those ships is a missile cruiser, say 70 mass or so, 250
points, with 12 MTMs--a reasonable payload for an arsenal ship.
You launch them all at once--and you've just cut the game speed
and playability in half.

Not frustrated yet?  Play that same 3000 point game with 4
arsenal ships, about 1/3 of your force.  But be prepared to
figure 60 vectors while your opponent reads a book.  Sure, you
can batch them if you want to, but if your opponent's got
escorting fighters you may need to maneuver separately to avoid
them.

I'd like vector MTM missiles if PBeM and I have a spreadsheet
handy.	Otherwise, no.	IMO, MTM missiles have to move as if
fighters.