Prev: RE: Thoughts on FB3 Next: Re: Thoughts on FB3

Re: Thoughts on FB3 +

From: "Izenberg, Noam" <Noam.Izenberg@j...>
Date: Tue, 09 May 2000 09:44:31 -0400
Subject: Re: Thoughts on FB3 +

Re: FB3

New rules:

I don't think FB3 is the place for new (spinal mounts/HBW's etc.) or
revamped old (like MT missile) rules. That's what _FT3_ is for, at least
as
I understand it.

New Fleets:

> ... Do we all agree that FB3 at least should have UN and IF?

I'd agree to that, + OU, Japan, LLAR, IC, PAU, Though I'd assume that
some
minor powers would have alot of purchases and conversions of
extant/obsolete
ships of the major powers. Several of those (and other minor powers
could be
listed in FB3 w/o a new mini line - just some new quarter-page SSD's
(with
or w/o small illustrations). I recuse myself regarding New Israel due to
personal bias.

-----
>From laserlight and aebrain:
>> ...lobby for laser's IF ships...

> I have a twofold problem with these ships:
> Firstly, off-centre firing arcs seem contrary to
> the spirit of the other designs.

I disagree. It's a specialized ship design that differentiates IF ships
from
other fleets. My early NI designs (and current spcialized designs) have
the
same off -center arcs. It makes for a different fighting strategy.

> It's very minimaxing to have a "spiral of doom".

Hardly. It's another tactic to learn to deal with.

Laser:
> I play vector almost exclusively--as my teammembers in the
> ongoing PBeM can testify, sorry guys--where this is not an
> issue.  It would be good to have more feedback on how these
> designs work for cinematic.

I've played Cinematic almost exclusively when face to face. The stealth
ships I've playtested all have off center arcs and used the Death Spiral
pretty good effect (as Indy can testify). I can't say how it would work
vs.
someone well prepared for it. It's certainly defeatable.

------
>From Tony (Re: NI supplement):

> It would have to be something along the lines of an
> 'Approved For Use With ...' publication, and I
> have no idea whether or not St^3 Jon would want to get
> into that area (Jon ?).

It's a can of worms. If Jon decides to approve a couple things like
this,
then everyone and his brother will want to get their pet nation
'approved
for use with.'	I'd love to see some official GZG-Brigade alliance
regarding
NI (some subset of Brigade models - like one per ship class as in FB1 -
becoming 'official' or 'approved' FT minis). But I'm not going to
holding my
breath.

> Plus, of course, it would be out of date very rapidly
> given our tendency to release new models. And finally,
> we don't make NI ships, we make SemFed ones ;-)

I beg to differ. ;-)

Noam - slowly updating New Israel to ca. 2193. Here's the timeline after
FB1
(2183):

2184 - Jan. 26, a convoy raid by Islamic Federation ships outside Naveh
system employs a full cruiser/destroyer group. The engagement initiates
review of deep space patrol, convoy, and hunter doctrine. Fear of
increased
IF aggression blends with escalation of the Kra'Vak hostilities to spike
Naval production.
2185 - The Third Solar War sputters into the First  InterSentinent War.
2187 - After replenishing most defense fleets from the losses of the
Homeland war, NI leases some of its ship construction capabilities to
the
powers gearing up to fight the Kra'vak incursion.
2188 - The Battleship Dayan and a small contingent from the Deep Range
Escort Fleet join the multinational force for expected first contact
rendezvous with the "Sa'Vasku."
2189 - A minor New Israel-Islamic Federation skirmish is jumped by
Kra'Vak
raiders, who attack both sides indiscriminantly. The KV destroy half of
both
human forces and are pursuing the remnants when the  Phalons arrive and
attack the Kra'vak. The Phalons gain the upper hand and start to
barter/ransom the initial combatants for which side they will join in
the
original conflict. Before negotiations are complete, a Sa'Vasku force
shows
up and destroys all fleets in the vicinity.
2191 Kra'Vak expeditionary forces are turned back at Sabra (barely, with
both the aid of Japanese forces, and the surprise and timely arrival of
small Sa'Vasku force) and Gan (decisively). Casualties of the Sabra
conflict
include some of the last foreign constructed capital ships in the fleet;
the
CVL Diaspora (NAC Inflexible conversion) is destroyed and the BB Meir
(NSL
Maria Von Borgund) is severely damaged and scrapped.
2193 - New Israel, with Gan (E-Indi) located closer to the Core Worlds
than
many of the Inner Colonies, agrees to coordinate a significant portion
of
its deep-space and assault forces with the UNSC to join defense of the
Core.

Prev: RE: Thoughts on FB3 Next: Re: Thoughts on FB3