Prev: Re: Thoughts on FB3 Next: RE: Thoughts on FB3

RE: Thoughts on FB3

From: "Bell, Brian K" <Brian_Bell@d...>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 07:25:28 -0400
Subject: RE: Thoughts on FB3

I would go for the 36" movement (with upto a 2pt turn), 3 turn
endurance, no
second movement, range 6.

I would also suggest that they need better protection from PDS. As it
currently stands, no single missile would stand a chance to hit anything
bigger than a corvette (_Each_ PDS has a 50% chance to kill it and each
Class-1 has a 33% chance, most firgates have 3+ anti-missile weapons).
So,
they have to be used in a swarm tatic. This leads to fire and leave ship
designs (which I don't like <shrug>). Perhaps they should take 2 hits to
kill, or be treated as Heavy Fighters (although, this does nothing
against
the scatterguns or interceptor pods). Better would be a -1 on rolls to
hit
it (PDS only hit on 5-6; Class-1 only hit on a 6; scatterguns and
interceptor pods kill it on a roll of 2-6). I still do not have an
answer to
the fire-and-leave ship design, unless you limit the number of missiles
that
can attack a given target in a round, or limit the number of missiles
that
can fire in a round (both bad ideas).

As for balancing them against SM missiles, I think that the PDS does
this
(and will do it even with my suggested changes). It takes ~2.25x the
number
of PDS to shoot down a SM salvo than 1 MT missile (as is) and ~1.5 with
my
suggestion.

-----
Brian Bell
bkb@beol.net
http://members.xoom.com/rlyehable/ft/
-----

[snip]

Prev: Re: Thoughts on FB3 Next: RE: Thoughts on FB3