Prev: Thoughts on FB3 Next: Re: Phalon ships = Giant penises!

A little more on trade

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@s...>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 10:18:15 +0300 (EEST)
Subject: A little more on trade

For those who don't like my long-winded ramblings, I'll try to boil this
down to a few sentences.

- Inter-whatever trade can exist profitably even without covering the
whole spectrum of tradeable goods. This already is the current state of
affairs (and has always been), we're just not paying much attention to
it.

- For a real life example, look at the early colonial trade. The ships
carried spices, ivory, silk, tea -- stuff you just couldn't get in
Europe.
No sane investor would have funded a risky voyage across half the globe
bring back something you could just as well grow in West Sussex.

For the military side of things, I've seen "what-if" calculations about
possible european involvement in ACW. Essentially it boils down to that
European powers might have sent infantry, but probably not much cavalry
--
due to the difficulty and expense of shipping the horses.

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	  | A pig who doesn't
fly

Prev: Thoughts on FB3 Next: Re: Phalon ships = Giant penises!